Sunday, February 21, 2010

Chocolate Workshop

Yesterday, I took another cooking class at Sur La Table - this one being a Chocolate Workshop. Given my recent dive into being a Dove Chocolatier, I figured this class would be interesting and hopefully teach me a couple of things that I could incorporate with the Dove. Overall, I think I liked the Croissant class better. I can't really put my finger on why - other than the "vibe" just seemed off. And to be fair, I wasn't totally up for going with everything going on with Casper. The vet had called Saturday morning to tell me that they needed to knock her out to insert a feeding tube. So, needless to say, my mind was more focused on worry for her.

Anyways... in class, we learned how to make Chai truffles, Baked Hot Chocolate, Chocolate Profiteroles, Molded Chocolates, and how to temper chocolate by hand. To be honest, I wasn't too interested in learning how to temper chocolate by hand, considering I have a machine that will do it for me. But at least I understood the concept and it made me appreciate my machine a little bit more.

Everything tasted yummy of course. Here is a picture of the profiteroles with a small scoop of vanilla ice cream. The ice cream totally made this dish - a perfect match to the chocolate pastry and the chocolate ganache. I will definitely be giving this a whirl some time.


No comments: