Yesterday, we had plans to take Curt to the Point Defiance Zoo for Father’s Day. Unfortunately, the weather did not cooperate and we opted to go downtown to check out the Dalhia Bakery instead. Wasn’t that nice of me to take Curt to the one place that I really wanted to go? It turned out okay though – because the best part of his Father’s Day happened while we were at lunch. I’ll share more about that in a minute.
As for the Dalhia Bakery – straight up, I was a little disappointed. It is my own fault though. I had these grand illusions of what the Dahlia Bakery was. I thought it was going to be this cute little cafe, where you go in and order that fabulous looking breakfast sandwich, sit down and chill. Hmmm – I was so wrong. The Dahlia Bakery is about the size of a decent sized walk-in closet. There are no tables. Well, okay – there were two small tables outside. But considering it was raining, eating outside really wasn’t an option. And there really isn’t room to peruse the goodies if there are other customers waiting in line. So overall, I felt totally let down and our plans to eat at the bakery went down the drain.
All was not lost though, because the Dahlia Lounge is right next door. They were doing a good business for a rainy Sunday afternoon and I think we got one of the last tables. The menu is relatively simple (a single sheet of paper – click HERE for the menu) that offered both breakfast and lunch options. I opted for Eggs 2 Ways with a Dungeness Crab Cake on the side (note to self – find Tom Douglas’ recipe for this crab cake). Curt ordered House Smoked Trout. And we let Miss B order donuts. The food was pretty good and my only complaint is that the service was really slow. I might not have minded as much if it had just been Curt and I out for a “date”. But one gets tired of hearing “how long until my food gets here”. Hungry kids don’t want to have to wait for their food.
As we were finishing up and waiting (even longer) for our check, these two nice British ladies stopped by our table to tell us how much they enjoyed watching Miss B. Apparently, they were just enamored with the joy/excitement on Miss B’s face when she got her donuts. Not to mention the way Miss B so nicely spread the apricot jam on top before eating. I still smile thinking about how much these two ladies were gushing about Miss B. It was definitely a proud moment for us. She is such a sweet girl and she has this natural ability to bring joy and happiness to so many around her.
So, that was our Father’s Day. I felt kind of bad that we didn’t do something more exciting for Curt. But as we were winding down last night, out of the blue, Curt mentioned that his favorite part of the day was the interaction with the two British ladies. I love it when the unplanned events of life turn out to be some of the best moments of life.
No comments:
Post a Comment