Saturday, November 29, 2008

Super Simple Bean & Ham Soup

I had all of these plans for Thanksgiving leftovers - including these cute little turkey & green bean casserole potpies that I saw on the food network Wednesday evening. The only problem is that we didn't have any leftovers. Can you believe that? The only thing really that was left was the ham (that I am so glad I asked my MIL to bring).

So last night when we got home, I set about to make some bean and ham soup. I didn't have a recipe to follow - just kind of threw it together. And both Curt and I thought it turned out great. We will definitely be doing this one again.

Ingredients:
2 cups dried bean mix (I got mine at Costco).
1/2 small onion, chopped
Chopped ham (use as much as you prefer)
5 stalks of celery - diced
baby carrots - chopped (again, use as much as you prefer)
4 cups chicken stock

Quick soak the beans - place beans in pot and cover with cold water (water should be 2 inches higher than beans). Bring to a boil. Then cover and turn off heat. Let sit for an hour.

Drain beans. Pour chicken stock into pot (you'll probably need a bigger pot than what you used to soak the beans). Add beans back in. Add in all of the other ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 4 hours.

That's it. Super simple. Hope you try it out!

No comments: