Sunday, January 2, 2011

Reflections & Resolutions

Well, here we are – the beginning of another new year. A time where we think back and reflect, as well as a time when we think forward and hope. Each January, I set out with a list of resolutions (or maybe it is more appropriate to call them goals). And each December when I think back on that list, I find that I didn’t follow through on nearly what I wanted. I could easily give the excuse that “life happens” and things change. But really, it’s because I didn’t feel that passionate about the things on that list and/or I didn’t want to tackle things that I perceived to be difficult.

For 2011 – I can say that I already have a lengthy list of things I want to tackle. But because I do not want to overwhelm myself and give up before I even start, I think I am going to take a two-pronged approach to my list this year. The first will be to identify 2-5 goals that I feel the strongest about. Things that I “NEED” to change/accomplish, if you will. And for these items, I want to make sure I equip myself with tools and tricks to keep myself on track and accountable. The second prong will be more like a bucket list – all of those other things that are more of a “want” than a true “need”. Things that I won’t beat myself up about should they fall by the wayside because “life happens”.

So, what is on my 2011 list? Well, I’m not quite ready to put it out there. I’m still looking at my list and prioritizing what I want at the top. There are some events that happened last year (both good and bad) that have me reflecting and questioning what is most important in my every day life. I’ve come to realize that I need to give more focus to things that make ME happy – and things that make our little family of three happy. I’m really looking forward to this new approach and have high hopes for a good 2011.

Now, with that said – I do have one project that I am ready to commit to. And that is a Project 365. This was on my list last year. And I even convinced a dear friend to take it on as well. But, in spite of a strong start (I made it through April), I failed miserably. My friend, on the other hand – she came through with flying colors (and I can not wait to see her printed book). I feel a bit of “guilt” for taking her along for a ride where I jumped out of the car and left her to “fend” for herself. So as I start over, I feel an obligation to her to follow through this year and I like having that accountability (even though she’ll probably say I don’t have to).

I have also committed to completing a P365 project for Owl Tree Studios (thank you Tiffany!). You should see the album template (found HERE) that our OTS designers Joey-Lynn and Shirley cooked up. Click on both of their names to see their respective blog posts about this album. I was already working on an quick album that Joey-Lynn created, when I read their posts about the P365 album. The album is just so incredibly awesome and I knew instantly that it was THE number one tool I needed if I was going to tackle P365 again. Having a preset album all ready to go will make it so much easier. And then while I was stalking the OTS store waiting for it to be available, Tiffany sent me an email asking if I would take the challenge for OTS. To which I resoundingly said yes.

So, there you have it. A firm commitment from me to complete a P365 this year. I’ve committed to others. I have fabulous templates all ready to go. I’ve gone back to a paper day-planner to ensure I have one spot to capture things of note. And I’ve set a little side agreement with Miss B that we will journal together everyday. I can see success at the end of the year. I hope you’ll come along for the ride – as I will be blogging about the journey along the way. And if you feel so inclined, take the challenge yourself. If P365 sounds like too much, knock it down to a P52 or a P12. Regardless, it should be fun and I’m really looking forward to this challenge.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

You (and Miss B) are going to ROCK the Project 365 this year! I know that if we all support each other, we're all going to have beautifully completed books come December 31st, 2011!

Jodi said...

:-) Of course you don't have to feel accountable to me! Are you kidding? I will be thanking you for the rest of my days as the inspiration behind my 365 album.