Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Crazy Busy

I'm so glad this afternoon has arrived. Last week, I came down with a nasty cold - and things have just been crazy busy at work. Thankfully, I'm pretty much on the mend and most of the crunch at work is now over. Just a few loose ends to tie up. Needless to say, I haven't had any time to do anything crafty. Hopefully tonight. I've got my every-other-month card club Friday night, and I need to make one more card for our swap. So in the meantime, I thought I would share a couple more "commute observations".

One day, late last week, I was running a little late and decided to try a different route to work. (I don't think it was really any faster.) Anyways, it was kind of a dreary day - cloudy and looking like it was going to rain. I spotted an older gentleman walking down the street and was wishing I had the leisure of taking morning walks during daylight. I thought it was "cute" how he was wearing his sportcoat. And he was wearing a hat - although it looked kind of funny. As I got closer, I realized that his hat was one of those clear, plastic produce bags from the grocery store. I guess he didn't feel like carrying an umbrella.

Yesterday, I was back on my normal commute route - taking note of the kids standing along the busy street waiting for the school bus. Now, something that I have observed earlier is that most of these kids are out there with their dads. Unexpected, in my opinion - but yet refreshing to see so many dads able to help out. Anyways, I was a few minutes earlier than usual and most of the kids weren't out yet. But one of the kids that was out there was flanked by a small "army". First there was dad - standing off to the side with a funny look on his face trying to keep busy on his smartphone/blackberry. And then there was Grandma and Grandpa, dressed in their finest, standing there just giddy with anticipation of watching their granddaughter get on the school bus. On the one hand, that is sweet that they are so excited. But on the other, I have to ask what is so exciting about a school bus? I could totally understand if it was the first day of school. But we are a good month+ into the school year. I don't know. Maybe I'll have to be a grandparent myself to understand.

And then today. Today was actually quite comical. Or maybe I just thought it was comical because I'm so tired. I'll start out telling you about Mr. Audi A4. I thought I was running late. But Mr. Audi must have been really late as he was trying really hard to push me to speed up. When he realized that it wasn't going to work, he made a quick dart to the right to go around me. Only to land himself right smack behind a school bus who was slowing down to stop. Doh!!! So he popped back in behind me, only to end up having to stop for said school bus' red flashing lights and stop sign. Once released from the school bus, Mr. Audi was determined to get in front of me. So much so, that as soon as he was close, he darted in front of me and nearly clipped the front end of my car. Needless to say, I was glad I was out of his way. But you know, karma plays some funny tricks on people sometimes. I had to chuckle when Mr. Audi missed every light for the next mile. All that rushing and darting around for nothing. I hope he made it to wherever he was going safely.

Next, as I was stopped at a light near campus - I spotted a taxi with some words stenciled on the inside of the window. It said "No Food - No Drink - No Alcohol - No Smoking". Ummm, wouldn't "No Drink" imply "No Alcohol"? I'm not sure how else one might ingest alcohol. Or maybe I don't really want to think about that one too much. Anyways, it gave me a good chuckle.

Cross your fingers that I have a little mojo tonight to make some cards. I also started a new Jessica Sprague class called Typewriter 2. It just started yesterday and I am already behind. And I suppose I should try to finish Typewriter 1 before diving into Typewriter 2. Thankfully, you have access to her classes "forever" - which is awesome for gals like me who tend to bite off more than they can chew. Have a great afternoon.

No comments: