Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving Thoughts & Friday Favorites

Hey everyone! I hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

We made a last minute decision to stay home because frankly, it is just way too draining and stressful to try and please everyone. I’ve spent the majority of my life always trying to please/appease others and I’ve found that as much as I want to enjoy the holidays, I end up hating the season. Each year, I tell myself that things will be different and I’ll come up with big ideas of things that I want to do/see. But those plans always seem to get squashed because of the expectations that others impose on us.

I finally couldn’t take it anymore and decided that if I couldn’t please everyone, then I wouldn’t please anyone but our little family of three. That doesn’t mean we didn’t miss seeing family and friends. Nor did it mean that we didn’t feel some level of guilt about not running ourselves ragged trying to make everyone else happy. But in the end, we remembered that Thanksgiving is about being thankful – not about imposing stress and guilt. So, we hunkered down at home, spent some quality family time together, and enjoyed a nice family dinner where we all shared things that we are thankful for. It was the perfect way to spend the day.

With that out of the way, let’s get to this week’s edition of Friday Favorites.

Nona Davenport (Nona’s Purls of Wisdom) – Nona posted about THIS project class that she is going to be teaching. Wouldn’t a wreath like that make a great window decoration for the holidays? And the beauty of it is that it doesn’t just have to be for the holidays. You could easily choose season appropriate papers and make wreaths to hang all throughout the year. My only thing is that I don’t know if I would have the patience to curl and adhere all of those pieces of papers. I wonder if she would hire out her services.

Vicki Wizniuk (Wizard’s Hangout) – I really like THIS card that Vicki made for this week’s “Mojo Monday Challenge”. It’s no secret that I love Vicki’s style, but I think what I’m really drawn to about this card is her Echo Park paper. She has done so much with this paper and it is all beautiful.

Kristina Werner (KwernerDesgin) – Kristina has been continuing her holiday card series. I can’t pick just one favorite, so just head over to her BLOG to check out what she has been showcasing.

Julee Tilman (Poetic Artistry) – Oh my! Check out THESE adorable gift card holders that Julee made. And if you read her credits, she is using Echo Park paper too! Julee mentions that she used Sure-Cuts-A Lot – which means I’m sure you could also use Make-The-Cut. Or nestabilities would probably work really well too. We give out a lot of gift cards throughout the year, so I’m going to have to bookmark this one.

Susie (Verve Diva) – Over on the Verve Stamps blog, the divas have been featuring different projects using the theme “Triple Play”. Check out THIS project that Susie posted. Aren’t those little goodie boxes cute? And I love how they have a little “tray” to keep them all together.

Andrea Walford – check out THIS non-traditional Christmas card that Andrea made. I’m not one who would naturally pick pink and light blue for a holiday card, but there is just something about this combination (with the green) that I find so peaceful to look at. And I love seeing examples like this of how to use a paper pack that I wouldn’t have ordinarily bought.

Becky Roberts (Inking Idaho) – check out THESE super cute cupcakes and matching cupcake boxes. And Becky shared a template for making your own cupcake box HERE. Granted, she is sharing crafty cupcakes, but I’m guessing that the box would work great for real cupcakes too.

Okay – that about wraps it up. If you ventured out bright and early this morning to catch some Black Friday deals, I hope you scored some great deals and will now get some time to catnap. I opted for sleep over the crowds, but will venture out a little later this afternoon to do a little shopping. I’ve been trying to hit up all my digi stores this morning to take advantage of all the great discounts. Have a great weekend!

No comments: