Monday, July 20, 2009

One Million Steps

Last night I was logging down my steps for the day (over 12,000 thanks to a trip to the zoo with Miss B), and I noticed that my cumulative steps is close to hitting one million. Holy moly!

Back in February, I started wearing a pedometer in prep for our trip to Disneyland in March. I knew I needed to work on just getting off my duff anyways, but the pedometer helped give me that subconscious push. "They" say (and I don't really know who "they" is) that those who wear a pedometer end up walking an extra 2,000 steps a day compared to those who don't. You wouldn't think it would make a difference, but there definitely is a subconscious pull to get up and put more steps in when you know you have a little gadget stuck to your hip keeping track. When I started back in February, I think I only averaged 2,500-3,000 steps per day. One of the perils of having a desk job. Not to mention that I didn't have to walk that far to use the restroom and/or to go to the cafeteria to get lunch. Fast forward to today - I have since moved to a new building at work and all of the necessities are a little farther away. Plus it is a nicer campus and much easier to get motivated to get up and go for a short walk. I now probably average 7,500 steps per day. On the one hand, it still doesn't see like that much - like I should do alot more. But on the other, my steps are more than double what they were 5 months ago. I guess I shouldn't be so hard on myself.

Anyways, so long as I don't just totally veg out today, I should easily hit 1 million steps today. I have a renewed sense of motivation to get started on the next million. And I want to do it in less time (it took me roughly 5 months for the first million). Have a great day! I'm off for a short jaunt.

5 comments:

Leslie said...

you go girl. How neat is that one million steps.

Anonymous said...

Good for you!!!!

Mindy Andreyo said...

beautiful!

Michelle said...

Congrats on one million steps. That is quite an accomplishment. I may have to get my pedo back out and start keeping track. I happened on your blog because of hop for Verve's second anniversary...you are listed as #39 on the hop... hope it's not a mistake. If so, sorry to bother you. :)

Pat S. said...

Oops! You are on the master list for the Verve hop.